Sellers: Moving Out of Your * Condo
Once you have bought your new home, Condo Hotline can help make the move easier for you! Follow these tips and checklists so that your move is as organized and effortless as possible. Think about your move as a series of small projects that you can begin before the closing date. That way, when the day comes to physically move your belongings, most of the other details will be taken care of.
Book the Movers
- You can choose to have your movers pack everything, or just the breakables, or you can pack yourself.
- It is a good idea to obtain estimates from several different companies. For a full list of reliable home service professionals, view our current Preferred Vendor List.
If You Own Your Present Home
- Arrange to have your gas, water, and electric meters read on the day you leave and have the bills forwarded to your new address.
- Have the oil tank read and filled before your sale closes, and provide a receipt to your legal professional if required.
- If the water heater or furnace is rented, arrange for a transfer of the rental agreement to the purchaser.
- Disconnect your telephone, cable TV, and water softener.
If You Rent Your Present Home
- Give the necessary written notice to your landlord and make arrangements for the return of any money you have on deposit.
At Your "New" Residence
- Make arrangements for the gas and electric utilities, water softener, telephone, and cable TV to be connected on the day the sale closes.
- Get "Change of Address" cards from the post office and send out well before moving day.
- Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized checks.
- Inform gardening, dry cleaning, newspapers, magazines, and other home services. Arrange for services at your new address.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious, or business affiliations or memberships.
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription, and optical records.
- Change the address on your driver's license(s) effective the day of the move.
- Collect all items for cleaning, repair, or storage -- e.g. dry cleaning.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of perishables, such as plants.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets.
- Safely dispose of all flammable liquids, as it is illegal for movers to carry them.